2021 Christmas Cookies
Almond and Mincemeat Bars
Adapted from Recipes Made Easy .
Almond and Mincemeat Bars
Adaped from a recipe on the site Recipes Made Easy
- 155 grams Unsalted Butter - Room Temperature
- 155 grams Sugar
- 1 Large Egg
- 2 ml Almond extract (1/4 teaspoon plus 2 or 3 drops)
- 305 grams All Purpose Flour
- 155 grams Ground Almonds - Almond Flour
- 365 grams Mincemeat - Prepared
- 1 Granny Smith Apple - Grated
- 1 Egg White - Beaten
- 75 - 90 grams Almonds - Flaked
- Preheat the oven to 350°
- In the bowl of a mixer, add butter and sugar and mix until soft and well combined. Scrape the sides of the bowl and add the egg an mix until combined.
- Sift the flour and add the ground almonds to the gifted flour and then add to the mixing bowl. Mix until well combined.
- Divide the dough into 2 pieces.
- Line a 9" x 13" metal pan with parchment paper.
- Between 2 pieces of parchment paper, roll out 1/2 of the dough to fit the 9 x 13 metal pan. The approximate size works here. Remove the top piece of parchment paper
- This is where it gets a bit tricky. Take the rolled out dough on the parchment paper and flip it into the pan. It won't go in easily and you will need to piece the layer together and smooth out evenly. I used a measuring cup to smooth the layer out.
- In a bowl, combine the mincemeat and the grated apple and mix well. Spread the mixture over the layer of dough in the pan.
- Roll out the remaining dough using the same parchment menthod. Remove the top piece of parchment. Along one long side cut a piece of dough off.
- Taking the whole piece of rolled dough on the parchment, flip onto the mincemeat layer. You will want to line up the trimmed straight edge with the edge of the pan.
- Trim the rest of the edges to fit the pan and then using the trimmings piece together the top to make an even layer. Yup, this was tricky.
- Brush the beaten egg white over the top of the dough. Use it all bt in an even layer. Scatter the flaked almonds across the top and lightly press into the dough. Add more or less flaked almonds as you see fit.
- Bake in the 350°oven for 40 - 60 minutes. Getting the almond topping as brown as you can without burning it.
- Let cool completely on a rack and cut into 2" squares.
- rolling the dough and getting it into the pan in this recipe is tricky
- if you have a dark 9″ x 13″ metal pan use it, the bottom will brown better
- while waiting for almonds to brown at the end, set a timer for 5 minutes so you don’t forget to check
- these store reasonably well (max 10 days in a cool place) but the almond scent/taste dissipates over time